Friday, August 01, 2008

The Business...


That is what this girl has been giving me lately! I think it's that one day she woke up and decided she would be thirteen instead of five, and she knew EVERYTHING and I knew absolutely nothing. She is normally such a compliant sweet girl, and of course strong-willed but never really defiant. It seems like a day wouldn't go by without some argument or meltdown, and at the end of the day I was exhausted. After she would go to sleep I would go curl up next to her wishing we wouldn't have ended the day the way we did. Until I remembered this parenting CD that was given to me a few months back called, Love and Logic, "When Kids Drain Your Energy." by Jim Fay. I had a few hours the other day on the drive home from Tahoe to listen to it again and I'm so glad I did. I was dying laughing over the 8 different scenarios they gave for instance, What to do about begging in the store, and their Love and Logic one-liners are some of the best I've heard. For me I really wanted to be able to parent and discipline with a sense of humor, and at bedtime have energy and patience left over to feel good about the day. I'm still in a trial run with these techniques but am having good results so far, and thought I would share with all the other moms' out there who might be feeling a bit frustrated! Check it out here

* I actually went to their site yesterday and signed up for their newsletter, and have already started receiving great parenting tips!

9 comments:

{The Christian's} said...

Thanks for sharing this!! I am going to look into getting it....sounds like it is something I could use! I have been feeling drained lately, this sounds perfect. I will have to get it for our trip to kelly's wedding..that will be the perfect time to listen to it since we are driving!!

Tamar said...

Luciana is on the SAME exact trip. Attitude like a teenager and she's not even 4 (until your birthday)! There are days where I think my whole day could've have been better had I not used all my energy dealing with her. So I'll have to check out the CD, fuh sho!

the yaney's said...

Thank you for sharing! We are experiencing the same in our household. I am going to have to look into this.

Mama Mia! said...

awesome tips! I just ordered the early childhood package - i'm excited! Entering the 2's and want to not die in the process! I'm headed off to Pilates - hope to see you there!

Andrea said...

I love her, thanks for the tip! I'll have to order those tapes. Miss you guys!

{The Christian's} said...

I did a search for this on itunes to see if I could download it for our trip. They didn't have that specific one but they have other podcasts on there for free. Just thought I would pass that on to you. :)

beckiem said...

You're right, Heather.... these books/CDs are really good -- I got one for me & J&S! Never too late to acquire some GRANDPARENTING skills!?! Makes SO much sense. I know you're a wonderful momma to your girls --- isn't it great to have access to encouraging things like this?
B

Amy said...

I just wanted to tell you that we went to Back to School night last night and it looks like Emma and Abbie sit right next to each other! How cute is that??? Hopefully, they will be friends! I'm sure I'll see you Monday. I'll be the one bawling my eyes out...ha ha! :-)

Viv said...

Oh Emma does have a tude! I have to turn my head so she can't see me giggle. She is so much like her mommy! It will be interesting to see if Nomes can exceed Emma's tude, (hope not for your sake Heather). Parenting has it's challenges. But they are the MOST BEAUTIFUL and precious grandgirls a mimi could ever have or hope for!